22 May 2007

Occupational Myths and Hazards

Too Much to Ask

This could just be Howard Kurtz letting the writer get the better of the reporter for dramatic reasons. But I suspect the truth is he knows little about the history of journalism and much about its popular and erroneous mythology.
Occupational mythology is always a blind spot when looking inward. I have been surprised, however, at the "fish in the water" expanse of journalism. What Jay Rosen has referred to as Journalism's Religion.

I think one of the reasons I was surprised is ("big 'J' professional") journalism's claim to a secular and objective process: "If your mother tells you she loves you, check it out!"

Of course, this is really a criticism of failing to be a custodian of fact practicing a discipline of verification - which leads directly to trust, credibility and legitmacy (I wish I could find the layered taxonomy Cline and I did starting with the "objective process" and leading to the "ethic of trust"?).

No comments: